Re: Matt 25:3; AI GAR/AITINES

From: Jim West (
Date: Wed Aug 04 1999 - 17:04:13 EDT

At 04:43 PM 8/4/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Please disregard my two previous posts that were incomplete and that
>escaped without my permission.
>Matthew 25:3a
>1. hAITINES MWRAI LABOUSAI E W Delta Pi Omega fam13 565
>2. AI GAR MWRAI LABOUSAI Aleph B C L Sigma 33
>As I was working on a variant in Matt 25:3, I wondered how the first
>variant could make sense with the relative AITINES (carried over from Matt
>25:1b). Could AITINES be a whole relative clause on its own here?

It seems that that is one possibility. NA27 doesnt even list the variant-
so the editors must not have taken it very seriously. It seems to me a
clarifying clause attached to what follows- but it is apparently unnecessary
and doesnt really add abything to the verse sense wise.

Jim West, ThD
web page-