Apostolic Fathers

From: Daniel L Christiansen (dlc@multnomah.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 06 1999 - 15:36:12 EDT

My apologies to Michael Holmes.

    When I read the publisher's blurb (on Amazon.com) on his new work, I
missed the reference to the original's 1891 date. Holmes' edition is
intended as a replacement/successor for the single-volume work by
Lightfoot & Harmer, not as a replacement for the 5-volume magnum opus,
the 2nd edition of which was published in 1889 & 1890, 1-2 years before
the material which Michael has revised.
    Given the history of discussion onlist regarding the Apostolic
Fathers, I was concerned that some list members might believe they were
obtaining a definitive reworking of the larger work. My comments were
never intended as a disparagement of Michael's work.

Daniel

--
Daniel L. Christiansen
Department of Bible