From: jacob cohen (
Date: Wed Aug 04 1999 - 23:24:48 EDT

As I am examine how a preposition is being used in a sentance what
should I be asking myself about how to find out if the preposition is
modifing the verb or a noun. For example Wallace points out that most
preps. that take a dative or accusative function adverbally, this is
also the case with genitives with EK and APO. But as I work through
the workbook Basics of Biblical Greek by Mounce I realize my grasp of
this concept is weak. Prepositions are found in chapter eight.
Anyone care to comment on some of these; Jn.1:10 EN TWi KOSMWi HN
He was in the world. What am I missing here ? I can see it both ways;
that "he" is being modified; he was in this location. And I could see
it the other way. That is "was" is being modified by EN.

Thank you
Jacob Cohen