Re: Luke 18:13-TWi hAMARTWLWi

From: Carlton Winbery (
Date: Sat Aug 07 1999 - 16:10:35 EDT

Edgar Foster wrote;

>I'm presently trying to work out some of the implications of the Greek
>definite article. In this connection I was wondering, how would you
>translate TWi hAMARTWLWi in Luke 18:13 and why would you translate it
>in this way or that?
I would say that the use of the article TWi is used to denote a member of a
class of people. It is similar to the famous eg. Jn 10:10 "A thief (hO
KLEPTHS) comes only to . . ." Hence, I would translate the word of the tax
collector as ". . . be merciful to me, (one who is) a sinner."

Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
Foggleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College
Ph. 1 318 448 6103 hm