Re: Grammars

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Aug 10 1999 - 03:02:53 EDT

----------
>From: George Goolde <goolde@mtnempire.net>
>To: Biblical Greek <b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
>Subject: Grammars
>Date: Mon, Aug 9, 1999, 9:44 PM
>

> At the risk of getting very close to the edge of that precipice leading to
> the nether parts of the B-greek world. . .
> It seems to me that one of the "right on" posts said "It depends on what
> you want to study grammar for." And without (I hope) jumping over that
> precipice that is where I say your approach to hermeneutics is part of your
> understanding of exegesis which is part of your reason for studying Greek
> in the first place. Which is all to say, that differences of opinion being
> carefully considered, and persons of varying faith perspectives being
> respectfully treated, you cannot ultimately separate hermeneutics from Greek.

Yes! You cannot separate them which is why I am always wandering into
questions that are off topic since I do not separate them in my daily
work and find it hard and somewhat artificial to separate them in my
b-greek posts. But the rules are the rules and I am willing to at least
try follow them.

> Unless, of course, you are a classical Greek scholar with no driving
> connection between your love for Greek and your understanding of Scripture.

But classical Greek is also interpreted, is it not? Hermeneutics is used
for all texts Classical included. I don't see why classical Greek
scholar would be a special case. They read the classical texts with the
intent of understanding them, do they not? Unless of course you are
talking about disciples of Paul de Mann or J. Derrida who read texts for
other kinds of reasons.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point