Re: Grammars

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 10 1999 - 13:17:15 EDT

<x-rich>At 10:00 AM -0700 8/10/99, George Goolde wrote:

>Neo-orthodoxy notwithstanding, I was pleading only for a balance
between

>the "B" and the "Greek."

Lest there be any doubt of the relationship of the "B" and the "Greek"
in B-Greek, here is the opening statement about the list at our
web-site (http://metalab.unc.edu/bgreek/):

"B-Greek is a mailing list for discussing the Greek text and language
of the Bible. Anyone interested in New Testament Studies is invited to
subscribe, but the list assumes a working knowledge of Biblical Greek.

"B-Greek was started by David Marotta at the the Center for Christian
Study, an independent Christian ministry at the University of Virginia.
In 1998, David asked to step down as list owner. We are grateful to
David for his vision of a forum where the Greek text and language of
the Bible are discussed in detail by an eclectic group of beginning
students and veteran teachers, laymen and clergy, conservatives and
liberals, earnest inquirers and academic scholars -- all equally
committed to probing the Biblical text in the original Koine, and
jointly exploring the mysteries and probabilities of Biblical Greek
morphology and syntax."

And lest there be any doubt about the awareness of the list's
administration of the close relationship of faith-commitment,
theological implications, etc., to interpretation of the Biblical text,
and the need for that very reason for mutual respect in discourse on
these matters, here is the core affirmation of our FAQ's statement on
"Respectful discourse: Those who participate in the conference
represent a wide range of theological and denominational perspectives,
perhaps even including some whose interests are purely academic. Deep
religious convictions surely characterize many, perhaps most, of the
list-participants, and some of these convictions bear directly upon how
the Biblical text is to be understood. At the core of our discussion,
however, is not what our convictions are but what the Greek text may
legitimately be understood to mean. If discussion of this nature is to
succeed, proper respect and courtesy to other list members is
important. While scholarly debate, including disagreement, is
encouraged as a goal of this conference, attacks upon the character,
intelligence, or faith of those participating are not acceptable.
Criticism must focus upon the arguments of others; it may not be
directed to the individual. Those who violate this policy will be
contacted politely by the B-Greek staff and requested to conform to
these guidelines. Those who continue to violate the policy will no
longer be welcome in the conference."

Carl W. Conrad

Co-Chair, B-Greek List

</x-rich>