Re: Luke 20:38

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Fri Aug 13 1999 - 14:53:19 EDT

At 01:32 PM 8/13/99 -0500, you wrote:

>Anybody have some insight as to how to understand the syntax of this verse
>and how to translate it, especially pantes gar auto zosin? Thanks.
>Ray Clendenen
>Broadman & Holman

"for all live to Him" This rather straightforward literal reading isnt very
helpful though, without some explanation. This is where grammar leaves us
and we have to follow the path of exegesis a bit (though of course we must
be careful because we can cross the bridge into the land of verboten words...).

So, without being too awful theological, I would suggest that the phrase
here is simply a claim Jesus makes about God- i.e., that in the presence of
God, all are alive and none are dead. In the presence of God is life itself
and death is absent. Note, wont you, the response of the scribes in v.
39!!!!!! They understood what he meant, I think.

Specifially, I would suggest that autw = "as far as" = "alive as far as God
is concerned"... etc.

Best,

Jim