Re: Philippians 1:22 Which is the apodosis

From: Carlton Winbery (
Date: Fri Aug 27 1999 - 22:06:33 EDT

Joseph Brian Tucker wrote;
>In Philippians 1:22, which clause functions as the apodosis to the protasis
>with which it begins. Does it mean:
>If to live in the flesh,
>then this for me means fruitful labor;
>and what I shall choose, I cannot tell.
>If to live in the flesh this means fruitful labor for me,
>then what shall I choose, I cannot tell.
I would say that the main clause (apodosis) of this sentence is "this is
fruit from labor for me." KAI . . . GNWRIZW is the second part of a
compound sentence. I would translate it as "I cannot tell which I would
choose." The clause introduced by TI is a relative clause, object of the

Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
Foggleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College
Ph. 1 318 448 6103 hm