Re: Didache 1:3 POIA GAR CARIS

From: Jonathan Robie (
Date: Wed Aug 25 1999 - 22:21:21 EDT

<x-flowed>At 09:34 AM 8/25/99 -0500, Edgar M. Krentz wrote:

>Jonathan,a NT passage close to the Didache 1:3 reference is 1 Peter
>2:18-20, where CARIS certainly means something other than grace. You might
>want to look at one of the good commentaries of this letter for additional

This is a really clear example - thanks! I must say that it comes as quite
a shock to see CARIS used to describe something a person can earn by
behaving in a particular way (1 Peter 2:20), since the notion that you
simply can not earn CARIS in any way whatsoever has always been very basic
to my understanding of the word. I'm gonna have to look for some
commentaries on 1 Peter, I don't think I have any here.