Re: Source for the semantic range of ...

From: Mike Sangrey (mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us)
Date: Fri Aug 27 1999 - 20:17:16 EDT

I've replied privately to Rolf, since what I said in that email is
more linguistic than B-Greek. However, there is one item that I
think would be helpful to those on this list. So, I've attached
that below.

furuli@online.no said:
> I would like to add another dimension, which you hint at, namely the
> one of different presupposition pools.
[...]
> The native Greek speaker did not need any books for this but he or
> she could depend on the common presupposition pool of the native
> speakers and would get an instant understanding of the meaning of a
> word.

If one understands how a 'presuppositional pool' might work,
then the method of learning vocabulary through memorization is
humorously incomplete. One should form a more complex structure
than a list of glosses. The structure would have to be a network
of usages which are related in a variety of ways. I don't have
the experience to come up with the list of those ways, though.
Does anyone happen to know where this might be discussed?

The building of the network would only be possible by diligent
study of grammatical constructions which are semantically related.
So, a lexicon does not quite cut it. Though a lexicon is a start;
the ingesting of a complete lexical entry is needed to build the
skeleton of the network in one's head. One still needs to go beyond
that to think like a Greek.

--
Mike Sangrey
mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us