Re: guron

From: Ben Crick (
Date: Tue Aug 31 1999 - 17:44:38 EDT

On Tue 31 Aug 1999 (05:37:03), wrote:
> Could someone tell me the meaning of this word
> in the LXX of Job 22:14 and Isa. 40:22?

 Hi Bob,

 GUROS stands for the Hebrew ChuWG, meaning a circle, or a circuit. It is
 the cognate of the English noun 'gyre' and the English verb 'to gyrate'.

 In Job 22:14 it refers to the spherical vault of the sky, where it could
 mean the Ecliptic, the intersection plane of the earth's orbit with respect
 to the stars.

 In Isaiah 40:22 it may refer to the curvature of the earth's surface,
 which is apparent from any sufficiently high vantage point on earth (like
 a mountain top).

 In each case the majesty of the Creator is in view. Some preachers use
 these verses to indicate that the Bible is not tied to the "three-decker
 universe" of Earth in the middle; upwards for heaven; and downwards for

 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF