Re: 2 Sam 23:5c

Date: Sat Sep 04 1999 - 01:10:22 EDT

On Fri, 3 Sep 1999 19:31:03 -0700 Garrett B Trott <>
> On Fri, 3 Sep 1999 16:52:58 -0700 writes:
> >
> >This passage is most bizarre.
> >

> >The English translations vary from:
> >
> >For will He not cause to prosper all my help and desire? (RSV)
> >For all my salvation and all my desire, will He not indeed make it
> >grow? (NASV)
> >for this is all my salvation, and all my desire, although he make
> it
> >not to grow (KJV)
> >For it is all my salvation, and all my desire, Although he maketh
> it
> >not to grow (ASV)
> >Will he not bring to fruition my salvation
> >and grant me my every desire? (NIV)
> >
> >Whatever happened to the PARANOMOS? How in the world do the
> >translators
> >leave that out, or is the LXX way off from the Hebrew?
> >
> >I would have expected something like:
> >
> >because He is all my salvation and all my desire,
> >because of this, the lawless will not prosper.
> >
> >Thoughts?
> Your translation does match up with what Brenton presents in his
> LXX, however, it does not match up with what the Hebrew Text
> presents. The translations you mentioned above are based off the
> Hebrew Text and it appears that the LXX is either using a different
> Hebrew text than the MT or is possibly feeling that this is a proper
> way of interpreting what the MT is saying. There are several
> instances where the LXX and the MT are different. Why? That is a
> good question and one that is open for debate.

Yes, of course. Thanks. I knew there were discrepancies between
the Masoretic Text and the LXX, but this one seemed so bizarre. I
Rahlfs, as well as the LXX on Logos (Rahlfs?). They both had the same
text, including PARANOMOS. The LXX appears to be corrupt once again.

But, one wonders about the origin of PARANOMOS here. Might it not be
from the following verse? Hmm.

Paul Dixon