Matt.5:22/ DE

From: Brian Swedburg (
Date: Wed Sep 22 1999 - 18:31:17 EDT

Greetings! I've enjoyed watching the friendly fray for a few weeks now,
so I thought I would piggyback on the present discussion of DE.

In Matt 5:22, EGW DE LEGW, is often translated 'but '(NIV, NKJV, NAS,
RSV), in a manner implying it is used adversatively. Recent b-Greek
discussion and BAGD agree that DE can connect and contrast. (Basic

Given Jesus' strong statement concerning his intent PLHRWSAI the law in
Mt 5:17, I am inclined to see this DE following an OT quote as
connective or ascensive.

What do you think? Am I missing something here?