Re: godbreathed

From: John Baima (
Date: Mon Sep 27 1999 - 15:48:07 EDT

At 08:00 AM 9/20/1999 -0400, Jim West wrote:
>>I am looking for secular or other biblical uses of the word theopneustos
>>(as used in 2 Tim. 3:16).
>>Was this a common word? How would you define God-breathed?
>It occurs in Ps.-Phocylides and some of the Sybilline oracles and some other
>obscure Greek inscriptions.

One of the problems we always have is incomplete data. Just to whet your
appetite a little, the next TLG CD will contain just about twice as much
data as the current D CD-ROM. In that, there is a 3rd BC usage from Manetho
Hist Aegyptius. The immediate context (sorry for the sgreek
transliteration) is:

Kai\ tau=ta me\n o( Pano/dwroj ta\j kata\ qeou= kai\
tw=n qeopneu/stwn grafw=n Ai)guptiaka\j suggrafa\j
sumfwnei=n au)tai=j a)gwni/zetai deiknu/nai, memfo/menoj
to\n Eu)se/bion

In all, there are 1100+ references to QEOPNEU* in the TLG E disk. Most, but
not all, references to 2 Tim.

John Baima
Silver Mountain Software 1029 Tanglewood Dr, Cedar Hill TX 75104-3019
Fax 972 293-6641 Voice 972 293-2920