From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (
Date: Sun Oct 17 1999 - 11:13:42 EDT

<x-flowed>At 23:04 16/10/99 -0500, Carl W. Conrad wrote:
> cannot say when the hilltop was first called SKOPOS, but I doubt
>seriously that Paul had that in mind in Phil 3:14, where the sense is
>pretty clearly the goal directly in view of a focused eye: the 'bull's eye"
>as it were of his aim in life,

Raymond Brown ( of blessed memory) when he was asked a questionlthe answer
to which he could only surmise, used to say " I would hope in the next life
to be in a position to ask X what he meant when he used that particular term".

I, too, would appreciate being able to ask Paul whether he was indulging in
word play using SKOPOS [ a N.T hapax, after all ].
Puns/word--play are so much part of the Hebrew Scriptures, after all.

As any of us who have wandered around Jerusalem know well, Mount Scopus
catches the eye at each turn as would the Eiffel Tower, say, as a means of
So, along with the literal meaning of " the mark" or "the target " of Wis. 5:21
" will leap to the target " / EPI SKOPON ALOUNTAI I would like to think
that for Paul, and hopefully for us, the goal will leap to our eye as did
Mt. Scopus.

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]

[ subscribed to MSN Messenger ]