Luther on Translation

From: David McKay (
Date: Thu Oct 07 1999 - 03:13:22 EDT

I hope this is related closely enough to our topic.
I have just been reading Luther's cheeky letter on translating, which is
said to be "the foundation of the modern science of linguistics, of Bible
translation and a classic of the German language." Don't worry it is in

He has quite a lot to say, once he stops abusing the opposition, about
translating idiomatically. I think anybody interested in translating the
Bible would enjoy the article.

It is found at the Project Wittenberg site:

You may have to highlight the url, rather than just selecting it, as it is
so long.