Re: John 6:29

From: Jim West (
Date: Sun Oct 10 1999 - 16:42:53 EDT

At 03:29 PM 10/10/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Jn 6:29b
>I'm translating the conjunction and the Present Active Subjunctive
>functionally as 'to believe'.

I would differ and take the phrase as a purpose clause... i.e., "so that you
might believe... etc".

>My questions are: Is there not a continuous
>sense in this phrase...

What do you mean by "continuous sense"?

>and if so, how can we bring that out without being
>awkward in the translation?? Doesn't it seem that the english tends to
>lose that continuous state connotation? How can we adjust for that?

Continuous? Please explain.

>Could it be translated "to always believe" or something like this?

No, because it is a subjunctive the element of possibility has to be
included- otherwise it looks like you are merely rendering an indicative.

Jim West, ThD
web page-

'Mythology is what never was but always is.' Stephen of Byzantium