PEMPTAIOI in Acts 20:7 D

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (
Date: Thu Oct 14 1999 - 15:16:15 EDT

I was intrigued by the reading PEMPTAIOI in Acts 20:7 D (Bezae).
PEMPTAIOI in this context is an adjective which limits the subject of
HLQOMEN but functions as an adverb of time (see C.K. Barrett (Acts: ICC)
and AT Robertson page 657).

Now it is no big deal for an adjective to function as an adverb. But it
seems like typically the adjective is inflected as a neuter (nom/acc
sing). In this case however the adjective is in agreement with the
subject of the verb but semantically it is functioning as an adverb of time.

It does seem a little weird for an adjective functioning semantically as
an adverb of time to be in agreement with the subject of the verb.

There must be something obvious I am overlooking here since C.K. Barrett
calls this reading in D "elegant".

You will note that in dire emergencies like this I do haul out A.T.
Robertson. This happens at least twice a year. Robertson has a one page
discussion of this on Page 657. See also Liddell & Scott (intermediate)
page 618.

Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point
P.O. Box 255 Seahurst WA 98062