Re: Smooth breathings

From: yochanan bitan (
Date: Fri Oct 15 1999 - 04:03:27 EDT

someone said,
>I guess I'm getting to the age where I wish Greek texts were printed with
>large enough type so that I could recognize if its a smooth or rough
>breathing. <g>
which is just the point--if only rough (dasus fqonggos) were written then
you would see it by its existence, not its shape.
i think it is worth further consideration. i wouldn't object to a book so
printed, while i find a book like dobson's 'learn NT greek' to be
unrecommendable without adding marks on the accented syllables. (otherwise
its quite good pedagogy for grammar/translation.)
was this proposal to delete smooth breathings influenced by the modern
greek reforms of this generation?
randall buth