Re: 1 Cor 7:12-16

From: Trevor and Margaret Nicholls (
Date: Fri Oct 15 1999 - 16:39:14 EDT

Hi Michael

> Just of couple of points to make on this,
> 1. APISTOS might just as easily be a reference to
> "unfaithfulness" in the marriage, rather than "unbelief"
> in Christ. If it does, that makes what we generally
> consider to be a Pauline "concession" very much
> more in line with what Jesus said.

I don't think so. It seems obvious to me that
the chapter attempts to deal with at least 4 different
categories: the married (both partners believing),
 the no-longer married, "the rest" (one partner APISTOS),
and the never married ("the virgins"). If APISTOS means
"unfaithful" as in "adulterous" this doesn't work.

Trevor and Margaret Nicholls