Re: Bear with me, here. :-)

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Sat Oct 16 1999 - 20:48:50 EDT

At 08:16 PM 10/16/99 +0000, you wrote:
>Okay, all you Greek experts. I'm a VERY new newbie (started Thursday) and
>was wondering about the pronounciation of a letter. How exactly is the
>omikron pronounced and how different is it from omega?

This is an excellent question.

omicron is pronounced like the "o" of "on", while omega is the long "o" of "toe"

> Example: Is QEOS
>pronounced "theohs" or more like "theahs"?

Neither. Theos sounds like "payoff".

> Another one that's giving me
>trouble is LOGOS because I just want to pronounce it like an omega,

No- both are omicrons, so it should sound like "law- goss"

>aparently. Anyway, I have no one to ask but you guys, so there you go.

Ask anything anytime.

Jim West, ThD
web page-

'Mythology is what never was but always is.' Stephen of Byzantium