Re: Jn 14.15

From: Carlton Winbery (
Date: Wed Oct 20 1999 - 23:36:49 EDT

Nigel Hanscamp wrote;

>The Johannine choice of (UMIN PAR (UMIN MENWN seems interesting to me.
>Jesus is not described as just being META (UMIN (with you), but
>"remaining", just as the spirit "remained" on Jesus in 1.32.
>or am I seeing more in this than is actually there. Is the above phrase
>'normal' Greek?
I would say that this is normal Johannine Greek, rather simple. Jn 14:25,
TAUTA LELALHKA hUMIN PAR' hUMIN MENWN " I have told you these things while
still with you." The verb MENW seems to be thematic in John from the
question in 1:39, POU MENEIS to chapter 15 where it occurs over a dozen
times. George Caird suggested in a lecture at the schools in Oxford in 1983
that the question in chapter one is answered later in the assertion that
"the Father is in me and I am in him."

The verb LELALHKA is also repeated several times in 14-17. It seems also to
be thematic.

Dr. Carlton L. Winbery
Foggleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College