Re: Denniston on Particles

From: Bill and Stephanie Black (jwb26@hermes.cam.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Oct 20 1999 - 04:53:33 EDT

> From: "J.K. Aitken" <jka12@cus.cam.ac.uk>
> Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 17:57:24 +0100 (BST)
>
> Denniston remains the classic, but is slightly dated and not so helpful
> for those interested in Biblical Greek. This is just a selection from my
> files:
>
> =D1 (ed), New approaches to Greek particles: proceedings of the colloquium
> held in Amsterdam, January 4-6, 1996, to honour C.J. Ruijgh on the
> occasion of his retirement (Amsterdam studies in classical philology, v.
> 7; Amsterdam: J.C. Gieben, 1997).
>
> C.M.J. Sicking and J.M. van Ophuijsen, Two Studies in Attic Particle
> Usage: Lysias and Plato [Mnemosyne: bibliotheca classica Batava.
> Supplementum 129] (Leiden: Brill, 1993).

Building on the suggestions in yesterday's digest, these two represent the
best of the recent work, IMHO as a PhD student working on NT sentence
conjunctions--along with an article by E.J. Bakker, "Boundaries, Topics,
and the Structure of Discourse: An Investigation of the Ancient Greek
Particle De", Studies in Language 17 (1993), pp. 275-311. However, all of
these focus on classical Greek rather than the NT, so questions of
applicability to the NT remain open. I find Randall Buth's work the best
on conjunctions in the NT, but sometimes difficult to lay hold of (in the
sense of finding the articles and getting a copy, not of understanding
them!).

Stephanie Black
Tyndale House
Cambridge, UK