Re: Theodoret

From: Thomas and Patti Bond (lpbond@coiinc.com)
Date: Fri Nov 19 1999 - 16:33:13 EST

I would like to submit another question regarding Theodoret. My question
specifically regards the use of the nominative participle and neuter neuter
nominative (or genitve plural) adjective in this sentence. How would this
be translated:

DESMION hEAUTON PROSHGOREUSEN, AXIOCREWN DIA TWN DESMWN KATASKEUAZWN THN
AITHSIN

I have seen it translated, "(Paul) introduces hmself as a prisoner,
formulating his noteworthy request by appealing to his bonds." But how can
AXIOCREWN be linked with AITHSIN? And cannot KATASKEUAZWN be the subject of
PROSHGOREUSEN? Something like, "the one making the request called himself a
prisoner because of the significant bonds."

Thanks for the earlier responses. I did not know of the Byzantine textual
tradition of placing breathing marks over rhos in the middle of a word. My
experience is really only in Koine.