From: Dave Palmer (
Date: Sat Nov 20 1999 - 13:17:14 EST

Dear b-greekers,

Luke 12:50 reads:

I notice that many of you have read the NT in other languages, and I would
be interested in hearing how they translated PWS SUNECOMAI here. There is
a spread of renderings in English translations:

KJV how am I straitened till it be accomplished
ASV how am I straitened till it be accomplished
Yng how am I pressed till it may be completed
Wmth how am I pent up till it is accomplished
NKJV how distressed I am till it is accomplished
NASB how distressed I am until it is accomplished
NIV how distressed I am until it is completed
REB what constraint I am under until it is over
NAB how great is my anguish until it is accomplished
JB how great is my distress till it is over
RSV how I am constrained until it is accomplished
NRSV what stress I am under until it is completed
JNT how pressured I feel till it's over
RCV how I am pressed until it is accomplished
CBW how I am pressed with anguish till it is accomplished
NCV I feel very troubled until it is over
CEV I will have to suffer a lot of pain until it is over
NLT I am under a heavy burden until it is accomplished
Mess how I long for it to be finished

So we have:
straitened, pent up, pressed, distressed, constrained, anguished, stressed,
pressured, troubled, suffering a lot of pain, under a heavy burden, and
longing for it to be finished.

Dave Palmer