PAUSONTAI in 1 Cor. 13:8, is it Future Deponent or an indirect middle

From: Dwayne Riner (
Date: Wed Nov 24 1999 - 10:15:17 EST

While reading Daniel Wallace's Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics I noticed
that he believed that PAUSONTAI was an indirect middle instead of a
deponent verb. This claim was based off of both context and his study of
other Hellenistic Greek sources. I noticed in my study that every instance
of PAUW in the NT (with the exception of the impv.) was in the middle or
middle/passive form. Also, in the LXX I noticed that PAUW occured both in
the future active and the future middle. Do you feel that it is deponent in
the GNT or a true middle.