Re: Gender of TO PNEUMA

From: Jim West (
Date: Fri Nov 19 1999 - 08:16:33 EST

At 11:21 AM 11/19/99 +0000, you wrote:

>I'd like to ask a question about the gender used to translate TO PNEUMA. Why
>do English translations use 'he' for the pronoun referring to the Holy
>Spirit, rather than 'it'?
>Thank you

merely convention. it would be hard for folk to read a bible which used
"it" for a member of the godhead- so "he" is used and often "He".

Its ok though because neuter gender in greek or feminine gender (ekklhsia-
the word for church is feminine) has nothing to do with sexuality. So fear
not, the Spirit, like the "father", is gender neutral (and not male or female).

Jim West, ThD