Re: First year grammar

From: Cindy Smith (
Date: Mon Nov 29 1999 - 12:21:32 EST

Oh, yes, another pet peeve: the word "ain't." "Ain't" literally means
"am not" and it is therefore technically correct to say "I ain't" or
"ain't I" but because some anal-retentive bishop in the late Middle Ages
(or thereabouts) thought the contraction was used incorrectly by people
saying "he ain't" meaning literally "he am not," he said the word "ain't"
was always incorrect. He was wrong. In the South, the word "ain't" is
used for emphasis, as in "I ain't" gonna do something. I wonder if
Hebrew teachers ever taught their students that certain Hebrew words or
phrases were incorrect? Does the Talmud ever speak of such things?

Cindy Smith Spawn of a Jewish Carpenter
GO AGAINST THE FLOW! \\ _\\\_ _///_ // A Real Live Catholic in Georgia >IXOYE=('> <`)= _<< "Delay not your conversion /// \\\ \\ to the LORD, Put it not off from day to day" Ecclus/Sira 5:8