Re: Mounce: Enough already?

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 01 1999 - 17:56:03 EST

At 8:51 PM +1100 11/30/99, S.D. & J.A. Mannix wrote:
>G'day.
>
>The issue of Mounce seems to me
>to be a storm in a tea-sup.
>
>It is a natural thing to draw conclusions
>about the meanings of texts when studying
>them in the original languages. After all,
>isn't that what we are meant to be doing?
>
>I haven't ever gotten the impression that
>Mounce is trying force his interpretations
>upon me, but I do appreciate the fact that
>he is thought-provoking.
>
>I certainly prefer Mounce to Wuest who seems
>bent on forcing the text to prove his view points.

I honestly think we've had enough of this, haven't we? Some of it has
actually concerned reasons why we like or don't like a particular text, but
is there really anything more to be said about Mounce's _Basics of Biblical
Greek_ that hasn't been said by now (other than to fess up just who likes
it and who doesn't?)

Carl W. Conrad
cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu