Re: 2 Sam. 7:3 LXX use of AN

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 07 1999 - 13:22:06 EST

At 6:14 PM +0000 12/7/99, Maurice A. O'Sullivan wrote:
>I would welcome comment from Carl or others on the use of AN in the LXX of
>2 Sam. 7:3
>
>" KAI EIPEN NAQAN PROS TON BASILEA PANTA hOSA AN EN TH KARDIA SOU BADIZE
>........."
>
>The 'middle' L & S states:
>" AN conditional Particle. In attic, it is not joined with pres. or perf.
>ind., nor with imperat. of any tense.
>
>What lies behind the use in v.3 of AN followed by an imperative?
>And what about NT occurrences?

This off the top of my head; it looks to me like the AN is in a subordinate
clause with an implicit subjunctive of EIMI; I'd understand this as a
matter of Nathan saying to David: "Proceed to all the matters such as may
be in your heart ...", hOSA AN Hi EN THi KARDIAi being a generalizing
relative clause qualifying PANTA. The imperative BADIZE, I would assume,
takes PANTA as an object in this instance.

Carl W. Conrad
cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu