re: 1 co 11:23

From: Jim West (jwest@highland.net)
Date: Sat Dec 11 1999 - 10:14:13 EST

At 07:58 AM 12/11/99 -0600, you wrote:

>I'd welcome comments on the basic questions of interpretation of the Greek
>of 1 Cor 11:23:
>(1) What is the meaning of the verb PARADIDOSQAI in this text?

to hand on... as traditions were passed on... or to seize, as when one is
arrested or seized by the police.

>(2) Whether PAREDIDOTO is a deliberate echo of Isaiah 53:12 (LXX) is
>probably a matter on which opinions will differ, and I'm somewhat dubious
>that question can really be resolved or that this is the proper forum even
>to discuss it;

You are right. Various interpreters will view this differently (though I
happen to think that it is not).

>(3) Is there such a thing as a "divine passive" AS SUCH in NT Greek, and if
>so, is PAREDIDOTO in 1 Cor 11:23 an instance of it?

There is; but 1 Co 11:23 is not an example of it. paradidomai is a deponent
verb- and though in form it appears mid/pass. in function it is active.

>(4) Could PAREDIDOTO in the imperfect tense be used on Easter night AFTER
>the death and resurrection of Jesus? And if so, what does it refer to?

Not at all. This is not only unlikely but impossible- for if he were
"handed over" on easter night what sense would that make? That is the cart
before the horse if ever there was one.

best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD
jwest@highland.net
http://web.infoave.net/~jwest

"This is the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill