2 Clement 15:4

From: Bart Ehrman (behrman@email.unc.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 14 1999 - 10:59:36 EST

   What do you make of the following: hETOIMOTERON GAR hEAUTON LEGEI hO
KURIOS EIS TO DIDONAI TOU AITOUNTOS? Specifically, I'm wondering about
the participle in the genitive at the end. "For the Lord says that he is
more ready to give than..." what? Than to make a request?

  Or is it that he's more ready to give than the person who asks is ready
to give?

   Or that he's more ready to give than the person who asks is ready to
ask?

   The final option is how it is most commonly taken, but I'm not sure
why.

-- Bart Ehrman