Luther and the biblical langauges

From: Rodney J. Decker (rdecker@bbc.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 17 1999 - 15:23:10 EST

<x-flowed>Years ago I heard Luther quoted to the effect that "the biblical languages
are the sheath in which the sword of the Spirit rests"--but it was not
documented. I've finally found that statement. The context contains a
number of similar statements that are valuable enough that I "OCR'd" it and
posted it on my web. It is well worth reading--and having students read.
You are welcome to link to the page where I have posted it or pass along
the URL. If you find any OCR/typo errors, let me know. I've proof read it,
but there are probably still errors remaining.

Please accept it as my Christmas gift to the list.

Rod

The Importance of the Biblical Languages
Martin Luther

Posted at: <http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/luther.htm>

An excerpt from "To the Councilmen of All Cities in Germany That They
Establish and Maintain Christian Schools" (1524).

Rodney J. Decker, Th.D. Baptist Bible Seminary
Assoc. Prof./NT PO Box 800, Clarks Summit, PA 18411
rdecker@bbc.edu http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/
The *Resources for NT Study* site is accessible at:
http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/rd_rsrc.htm