RE: Philipians 2:11, KURIOS IHSOUS CRISTOS

From: Bill Ross (wross@farmerstel.com)
Date: Tue Dec 21 1999 - 10:07:41 EST

<Blaho>
In Php 2:11 Paul writes:
10. hINA...
11. (KAI) PASA GLWSSA EXOMOLOGHSHTAI hOTI KURIOS IHSOUS CRISTOS EIS DOXAN
QEOU
PATROS.

There is a confession: LORD JESUS CHRIST. There is a verb (to be) obviously
missing. So, what is the confession?

a) Lord Jesus *is* Christ
b) Lord *is* Jesus Christ (or in a "nicer" english: Jesus Christ is Lord)

<Bill>
I am not responding directly to your question, but rather using this as an
opportunity to mention something I noticed recently in this same verse.

This verse is commonly used by people to say that people will all confess
Christ as Lord, either willingly now or unwillingly in the future.

But it seems to me that the meaning of the word EXOMOLOGHSHTAI which
contains the prefix EX implies not a begrudging admitting of a fact but of
"singing out" a confession.

There is a textual discrepancy on whether or not this is in the subjunctive.
If it is subjunctive, then it further argues for it being an argument of
Christ's exaltation via worth rather than by force, and it would have been a
pious scribe who tried to "correct" the reading.

Bill Ross