Re: Pronouns in John 1:1 and 1 John 1-4

From: Numberup@worldnet.att.net
Date: Wed Dec 22 1999 - 12:09:24 EST

Can you tell me how to get a copy of Beck's translation? I have often
seen it cited, but cannot find a copy.

AUTOS is a pronoun that takes the gender of its antecedent. In John
1:1, AUTOU is the same form in both the genitive singular masculine
and the genitive singular nueter, but since it refers to hO LOGOS
(masculine), a better translation would be "he, him."

However, in 1 John 1, Beck is justified in translating "it" because the
antecedent is hOS, [what, that which] and is a neuter singular
pronomial. He translates "life" as "it," though it is feminine in the
Greek, but makes better reading in English.

Solomon Landers
Memra Institute for Biblical Research
http://www.memrain.org

<Ken Johnson writes:>

<Can the pronouns in John 1:1 amd I John 1:1-4 be translated "it" as
Tyndale and Beck, respectively, have done?>