Beck translation trivia-stauros-single pole and cross.

From: KJohn36574@aol.com
Date: Thu Dec 23 1999 - 02:56:23 EST

To: Grant Pole

I think historically, Jesus only carried a cross-piece of the two piece
cross. I think you could refer to one of the pieces as a stauros stake.
Historically, Jesus was tied to a stake to be flogged. It could have been
simular to the main portion of the stauros which stuck into the ground. So it
is not entirely inaccurate to say that Jesus died on a stake as long as one
is willing to add the cross piece.

P 75 has the word portrayed in the Greek as a picture of a man on a cross- a
P superimposed onto a t. The top part of the P was the man's head, but he was
on a t, which is a picture or symbol of the traditional Roman cross.

The above might also throw light on the Hebrew which curses anyone who hangs
on a tree/stake. A cross to me was a simple stake with a cross piece used to
further the anquish of the experience of crucifixion. Just being tied to a
stake would not be much of a suffering experience, unless one lit a fire or
something.

Hope this helps. Are you JW?
I'm not a JW, but I'll still talk to you if you are.

Ken Johnson
Elk Grove, CA
KJohn36574@aol.com