Re: Question on John 17:3

From: Daniel L Christiansen (dlc@multnomah.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 28 1999 - 20:49:00 EST

Dan Parker wrote [snipped]:

> This relates to a question I posed earlier:
>
> According to Smyth (2493) hOS can "refer to a particular and
> individual person or thing." Would it not then be the equivalant
> to a "personal noun?"
>
> Would it not be true that if hON functions as a noun at John 17:3 that
> it takes on all the properties of a noun and that if it refers to a person
> it is then a "personal noun" that fits the description Granville Sharp
> gives? Is not a pronoun a category or sub-class of noun?

        I would say "no." It is a subclass of the article, more than of nouns
proper, IMO. (Though I am not suggesting we actually taxonimize our
grammars in this manner.) As far as the Smyth quote goes (with which I
have no argument), it should be noted that the same may be said for the
article. In fact, one may profitably split a discussion of the article
into its "particularizing" and "generalizing" functions. The question
is not whether a part of speech can refer (function) to a person, but
whether it is (form) a substantive under Granville Sharp's definition.
As I mentioned, Sharp seems to have at least tacitly excluded pronouns
from his rules.

> I think I would like to read up
> on Middleton's theories. Do you have a reference?

        Sure: The Doctrine of the Greek Article Applied to the Criticism and
Illustration of the New Testament, by the late Right Reverend Thomas
Fanshaw Middleton, Lord Bishop of Calcutta. London & Cambridge: J. G.
F. & J. Rivington and J. & J.J. Deighton, 1841.

        But, be forewarned, this is not like Granville Sharp's "Remarks."
Middleton is 500+ full pages of 19th century prose. I have had numerous
students vigorously and excitedly begin Middleton, only to be
discouraged after the first 20 or so pages because he doesn't "get to
the point." However, it is worth reading, even though its style is not
the best, and its information is far out of date with regard to the
critical text, linguistic vocabulary, etc.
        However, I don't believe Middleton is in print anywhere. You'd have to
locate it in a library, or at a garage sale. OK, OK., stop laughing!...
just because none of you have ever actually SEEN such a garage sale,
doesn't prove it doesn't exist. Have any of you mockers ever SEEN Santa
Claus ? :)

Dan

--
Daniel L. Christiansen