Re: John 8:58 (Does anybody have anything NEW to say?)

From: Rod Whitacre (rodwhitacre@home.com)
Date: Tue Dec 28 1999 - 17:12:45 EST

I havenât noticed reference to Bultmannâs analysis of EGW EIMI (forgive me
if I have missed it) and it is perhaps worthy of consideration.

He says, ãWe must distinguish various forms of the EGW-EIMI formula,
although of course there are transitions between them: 1. The
Îpresentation formulaâ, which replies to the question: ÎWho are you?â By
the use of EGW EIMI the speaker introduces himself as so and so; here EGW is
the subject.... 2. The Îqualificatory formulaâ, which answers the
question: ÎWhat are you?â, to which the reply is, ãI am that and thatâ, or
ÎI am the sort of man who...â. Here too EGW is subject.... 3. The
Îidentification formulaâ, with which the speaker indentifies himself with
another person or object. Here too EGW is subject.... 4. The Îrecognition
formulaâ, which is to be distinguished from the others by the fact that here
EGW is the predicate. For it answers the question: ÎWho is the one who is
expected, asked for, spoken to?â, to which the reply is: ÎI am he.âä (The
Gospel of John, pgs. 225-26, n. 3). Bultmann supplies a number of examples
from Jewish and non-Jewish literature for each use and analyzes many of the
examples in Johnâs Gospel.

In my view, while some on the list have suggested we have here an example of
what Bultmann calls a Îrecognition formulaâ (ãI am heä), the context does
not suggest as much since there has not been reference to one who is
expected, asked for or spoken to (for a good example of this use see Mt.
14.27 and par.).

While the LXX of Ex. 3.14 does not use EGW EIMI, as others have noted in
this list, the phrase is used of God in Dt. 32.39; Isa. 41.4; 43.10; 46.4;
and 48.12. In commenting on the passage under discussion in this string,
Jn. 8.58, Bultmann rejects such an association since then the phrase would
mean, ãI am the ÎI-am,âä which is impossible since then EGW ãwould have to
be both subject and predicate!ä (ibid.. 328, n. 5). If, however, the phrase
could be a form of the Divine Name then Bultmannâs analysis in terms of
subject and predicate does not apply.

As Chuck Stevens has pointed out, the context in the Gospel suggests
something worthy of death has just been spoken. I think the rest of Johnâs
Gospel uses agent language and prophet language to bear witness to Jesusâ
identity as transcending all such categories to the extent that he is
associated with God in a unique way. Thus, a reference to the Divine Name
is quite in keeping with this passageâs context and Johnâs Gospel in
general. Such discussion, however, goes beyond the limits of this list.

Rod

The Rev. Dr. Rodney A. Whitacre
Professor of Biblical Studies
Trinity Episcopal School for Ministry