Re: Hades, Tartarus, Gehenna all rendered "hell"--Loyal translation?

From: Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@www.plantnet.com)
Date: Thu Dec 30 1999 - 11:57:52 EST

<x-flowed>To: Bill Burks,

<< The word TARTAROW in 2 Peter as opposed to the other two words mentioned
does have some significance. Otherwise I suspect Peter would have used a
different word. >>

The logic of your point escapes me. For it is not uncommon for a person to
use near synonyms merely for the fun (or diversity) of it, just as it is
also uncommon for a person to use the same term in different ways.

<< What you are proposing for Hades, and Gehenna is not really translating
but transliterating these words. This has been done with several words
throughout the KJV and other versions. This tends to devalue the meaning of
the original words. After all is not the purpose of a translation to take
words, syntax, and grammatical forms of the words, phrases, and sentences
with respect to the author's original usage in one language and bring the
original author's meaning into the receptor language. >>

On the other hand, the Greek term GEENNA is itself a transliteration. One
could argue that transliterating a transliteration is more faithful to the
original text than using some other dissimilar English term.

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller@www.plantnet.com
Disclaimer: "I'm just a simple house-husband (with no post-grad degree),
what do I know?"