Re: Spiros Zodhiates

From: Paul Sue (biblia99@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Dec 31 1999 - 00:14:56 EST

"Kevin W. Woodruff" <cierpke@prodigy.net> wrote:

>I did some work on the NASB edition of the
Hebrew->Greek Study Bible. I would not trust it.
Zodhiates >has a tendency to read modern Greek
meanings into
>Koine words. His interpretations are sometimes just
>plain idiocyncratic.

That's what I feared -- my "gut feeling" after reading
the ads on the AMG web-site.

And "clayton stirling bartholomew"
<c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>How helpful these books are depends on how you use
>them. If you use them the way that most people do my
>answer would be NO.

I think your answer would apply to my situation:
I was asked by my church's fellowship to give a
seminar on basic bible interpretation. I'm sure that
I will be asked about references for word-studies, so
I wanted to see what I could refer them to. The
audience has NO training in the original languages at
all, so I was somewhat unsure if I should direct them
to BAGD, EDNT, NIDNTT, etc.

Furthermore, my Greek is only at a 1st year level, and
though I'm familiar with the standard works, I confess
that I'm not really qualified to lead the class in
doing a proper word study -- if indeed such an
exercise is even worth pursuing for the average
Christian; as Clay said, "it is nearly impossible to
train a non-linguist to perform a valid word study."

I have to agree with Clay that after reading Carson's
book, and having familiarized myself with some more
recent books such as Louw, Silva, Cotterell & Turner,
etc., I'm wary of introducing the whole idea of
word-studies in an introductory seminar.

I mentioned Zodhiates, Robertson, Vincent (and I might
have added Vine as well) because these are the works
that pastors have recommended to them, or they have
come across at your typical Christian bookstore.

Perhaps what I should do is to mention these
references, with some appropriate caveats.

Thanks to all for your helpful comments.

Paul