re: Luke 14:26 (Word Order)

From: yochanan bitan (ButhFam@compuserve.com)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 05:03:22 EST

>Luke 14:26 has--
>EI TIS ERXETAI PROS ME KAI OU MISEI TON PATERA AUTOU....OU DUNATAI EINAI
MOU
>MAQHTHS.
>
>My question is whether the location of MOU in the above makes a difference
if
>it is placed before MAQHTHS or after.

the word order "einai mou maqhths" would seem to put its normal, salient
peak on "maqhths". (i use salient peak [for important information with
normal intonation] because emphasis miscommunicates and is widely misused
in popular language studies and philology.)

the word mou 'my' is in a very NORMAL position for hellenistic greek and is
probably 'more-presupposed information, less salient" than maqhths.
a true focus structure (grammatically highlighted, salient information)
would have needed to bring mou in front of einai: ou dunatai MOU einai
maqhths, (or even more severely: MOU ou dunatai einai maqhths).

erroso
randall buth