RE: M.Pol. 2:1

From: James Ernest (jernest@hendrickson.com)
Date: Wed Feb 02 2000 - 11:04:50 EST

But hYPARXONTAS must also be subordinate to the
DEI, n'est-ce pas? I.e., does not
DEI ... hHMAS hYPARXONTAS ... ANATIQENAI
include in its meaning
DEI ... hHMAS hYPARXEIN KAI ... ANATIQENAI

Isn't this kind of coordination one of the things
that Greek participles are used for?
One of my Greek teachers (you know Arthur Rupprecht,
don't you, Bart?) used to tell us that whereas in
English we say "Get up and shut the door" a modern
Greek will say "Getting up shut the door".

Seems to me this MPol usage can combine that kind of
coordination (in subordination to DEI) with the
adverbial senses already suggested.

"we must reverently attribute" has the virtue of
combining the ideas
 (1) we should be reverent and
 (2) that reverence should cause us to attribute...
rather than
 (1) we are reverent and
 (2) that reverence should cause us to attribute...
which latter is what would be conveyed by something
like "we, because/since/if we are more reverent,
ought to attribute ..."

James

James D. Ernest
Senior editor, academic books, Hendrickson Publishers
Ph.D. cand., Boston College
S-MAIL: c/o Hendrickson Publishers, 140 Summit Street,
  P. O. Box 3473, Peabody, MA 01961-3473 USA
FAX: 978/573-8243 PHONE: 978/573-2243
E-MAIL: jernest@hendrickson.com / ernest@bc.edu