Re: KATA KAIRON

From: Jan L.H. Krans (J.L.H.Krans@th.vu.nl)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 12:29:15 EST

On 02/07/00, "Bart Ehrman <behrman@email.unc.edu>" wrote:
> In 1 Clement 24:2 we read: IDWMEN AGAPHTOI THN KATA KAIRON GINOMENHN
> ANASTASIN, "We should consider, beloved, the resurrection that happens
> KATA KAIRON." What do you think of rendering it "...the resurrection that
> happens all the time," instead of something like "at the right time" or
> "at the right season" or the like?

I would like to return to Bart Ehrman's original question: what does
KATA KAIRON mean in 1 Clement 24,2 IDWMEN AGAPHTOI THN KATA KAIRON
GINOMENHN ANASTASIN? I think it remains simply "at the right time", but
that a repetitive element is introduced here by GINOMENHN, present
tense. One might in the given context be tempted to translate: "Let us
consider, beloved, the resurrection that (already) always happens at the
right time." Indeed, the context confirms this idea.

Jan Krans
Free University, Amsterdam
j.l.h.krans@th.vu.nl