Re: Night and Day

Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 11:12:13 EST

In a message dated 02/09/2000 9:29:12 AM Pacific Standard Time, writes:

<< The same idiom holds in Greek: "Day
 speaks to day" is fine in Greek, but English would more likely say "One
 day speaks to the next." >>

Dear Mary:

No one, so far, has questioned the translation/paraphrase offered by Bart.
The issue is whether or not such a translation fits in with the context and
whether or not the resulting translation makes sense, at all. I would be
interested to know how you believe a day/night could speak/impart knowledge
to a day/night that was not present. This, to me, seems particularly odd,
even in a poetic text, when in the context shows that the recipients of the
speech/knowledge are those on the earth, as I mentioned in my last post to

Greg Stafford