Re: Perfective uses of OIDA

From: Mike Sangrey (mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 21:34:52 EST

Carl Conrad said:
> I really am curious as to what forms you are counting as present
> tense forms of OIDA.

Hmmmmmm...

Whoops. Seems the data I have incorrectly identifies ISQI as Present Active
Imperative 2nd person Singular of OIDA!!?! Duh. I suppose that would be
EIMI, huh?

The good news is I probably have ISQI memorized now. :-)

> OIDA, insofar as it actually represents a "completed" action means
> something like "I have a full-formed mental vision." You might compare
> hESTHKA the perfect tense form of hISTAMAI: the present hISTAMAI means
> "I am coming to a standing position"--but the only way to say "I am
> standing" is hESTHKA, which means "I have reached standing position
> and am in it."

*That* is helpful. I was trying to get some sense of the difference between
OIDA and GINWSKW. I now understand OIDA to have the sense of "full-formed
mental vision" where GINWSKW is more along the lines of experiential knowledge
(thanks George). The distinctly different morphology of these two "knows" now
makes sense to me.

I Cor. 8:1 is generating my questions:
    PERI DE TWN EIDWLOQUTWN, OIDAMEN hOTI PANTES GNWSIN ECOMEN.

"Now about food sacrificed to idols, we are convinced we all have knowledge"

Thank you very much!

--
Mike Sangrey
mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us