Re: Perfective uses of OIDA

From: Mike Sangrey (
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 21:34:52 EST

Carl Conrad said:
> I really am curious as to what forms you are counting as present
> tense forms of OIDA.

Whoops. Seems the data I have incorrectly identifies ISQI as Present Active
Imperative 2nd person Singular of OIDA!!?! Duh. I suppose that would be
EIMI, huh?

The good news is I probably have ISQI memorized now. :-)

> OIDA, insofar as it actually represents a "completed" action means
> something like "I have a full-formed mental vision." You might compare
> hESTHKA the perfect tense form of hISTAMAI: the present hISTAMAI means
> "I am coming to a standing position"--but the only way to say "I am
> standing" is hESTHKA, which means "I have reached standing position
> and am in it."

*That* is helpful. I was trying to get some sense of the difference between
OIDA and GINWSKW. I now understand OIDA to have the sense of "full-formed
mental vision" where GINWSKW is more along the lines of experiential knowledge
(thanks George). The distinctly different morphology of these two "knows" now
makes sense to me.

I Cor. 8:1 is generating my questions:

"Now about food sacrificed to idols, we are convinced we all have knowledge"

Thank you very much!

Mike Sangrey
Landisburg, Pa.
       There is no 'do' in faith, everywhere present within it is 'done'.