Re: 1 John 2:1

From: Jonathan Robie (
Date: Tue Feb 15 2000 - 12:58:01 EST

<x-flowed>At 11:31 AM 2/15/00 -0500, Theodore H Mann wrote:
>Hi all.
>Am I correct in my assumption that the subjunctive in KAI EAN TIS
>hAMARTH, in 1 John 2:1, is used in the "fifth class condition," also
>known as the "present general condition"? (Wallace, p470) Thanks.

Since I cut and paste more reliably than I classify conditions, here's
what A.T. Robertson has to say:

If any man sin (ean tis hamartÉi). Third-class condition with ean and
second aorist (ingressive)
active subjunctive again, "if one commit sin."

So the condition presumes the possibility that someone may sin.

Jonathan Robie
R&D Fellow, Software AG