Re: Demonic Discourse - Mark 5:12

From: Carl W. Conrad (
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 14:02:53 EST

At 10:36 AM -0800 2/17/00, clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:
>Reading again through the first half of Mk 5, I was struck by the
>fullness of expression in the demonic request:
>Mk 5:12
>The hINA clause seems not quite but almost an exact repetition of what
>precedes. Matt and Luke do not report the demonic request in this form.
>I assume that this "say it again" construction using a hINA clause is
>one that can be found elsewhere in the NT but I cannot immediately
>recall an example. Someone else might be able to come up with another
>This fullness of expression serves a discourse function, it slows down
>the reader at this point and draws added attention to the demonic

Well yes, that it does. But one fact that should be remembered (although it
may not be all that important here) is that the hINA + subjunctive clause
is only sometimes a purpose clause; it is really halfway on its way to its
modern Greek destination: an infinitive, so that this is: "Send us into the
pigs, to enter them." I'm curious whether there's anything aramaic about
this formulation (the more so, as I have no earthly idea whether there is!)

Carl W. Conrad