Re: forked tongues

From: L. J. Swain (
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 14:04:30 EST

I'm not sure "ambivalent" is a good word. Well, let me say that
ambivalent is actually the perfect word, but I've noted that most of my
colleagues, even well educated ones, assume that ambivalent is a synonym
for apathetic, which of course it isn't. *SIGH* So the question is
whether to choose the perfect English word that few will understand or
go for a less fitting word that gets the point across, not that I have a
real suggestion on that score.

Larry Swain
Assistant to the Publisher
Old English Newsletter
Medieval Institute, Western Michigan University
1201 Oliver St.
Kalamazoo, MI  49006
(616) 387-8832