Re: Paleographic problem in Porter

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (
Date: Sat Feb 19 2000 - 23:48:20 EST

>From: "Carl W. Conrad" <>
> What were you drinking during those several more moments, Clay?

Celestial Seasonings "Mandarin Orange Spice" tea, my third cup in two
hours. I need to cut back on this.

> The one problem I see with all five of Clay's suggestions--two, if we
> disregard the first three--is that something more is still needed to
> coordinate with "than"--unless (perhaps) Porter meant to write "more"
> rather than "the most ..."

Carl is right. No one word will do the trick here if you want a smoothly
flowing sentence. But one word is enough to fill in the sense.

Before getting too excited about this one needs to go back and read a
few random paragraphs from Porter's Ph.D. dissertation. This will put
the whole question in perspective.