Re: Rev 1:4

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Sat Feb 12 2000 - 16:39:33 EST

At 04:27 PM 2/12/00 -0500, you wrote:
>> -In apocalyptic literature seven is usually a perfect number. Thus the
>> spirit would be the Holy Spirit. At least that is my best guess.

In fact it is not merely in apocalyptic lit. that the number 7 is
significant. The whole of the OT tradition values it as the number of the
Sabbath. The number 7 is important because it represents the sabbath (and
not vice versa). Further, apocalyptic lit. adopts the notion represented by
the OT writers regarding the holiness of the number. Thus, it is not so
much perfection which 7 represents (10 actually is the number of perfection
or completion- e.g., folk have 10 fingers and 10 toes and thus can
completely hold onto something or perambulate). 7 really represents
holiness- sanctification... etc.

Thus in Rev 1:4 et al. it is holiness that the number represents rather than

Best, as always,

Jim West, ThD